Friday, September 2, 2011

I Was Never A Hippie

I was never a hippie. I never wanted to be anything close to a hippie. I hated the style, the false and dangerous “’love everything and everyone” ethos and the horrid guitar solos. Blech. Those people not only needed serious direction, they needed to use soap. The only time I ever got close to wishing I knew what it was like to be a hippie, was when I heard Keith Morris sing that he was a hippie in one of the best songs ever recorded. This song is Wasted, which was performed and recorded by the seminal punk band Black Flag.

Wasted is 51 seconds of pure adrenaline fueled joy. It is the perfect marriage of lyrics and music, if you need music and lyrics to function as a liter-sized espresso shot. It starts with guitarist Greg Ginn’s heavily distorted crushing chords. The lyrics are really just an honest lamentation, but they are sung with such urgency that you find yourself placed within context of the song. Just by listening, you too become involved. You understand and empathize with what it must feel like to be completely aimless. Morris even uses hippie idiom, stating “I was so heavy, man. I lived on the strand.” You can say with authority, because you are now a participant, “I guess he was, um, wasted.” 

Check out this song and everything on early Black Flag’s Nervous Breakdown EP if you dare, but first make sure you’ve had enough sleep the night before.


Black Flag – Nervous Breakdown on SST Records (includes Fix Me, I’ve Had It, Wasted). Artwork by Ray Pettibon (who also designed the infamous Black Flag 4 flags logo, and is Greg Ginn’s brother). Do check out this gentleman’s artwork at www.raypettibon.com and at David Zwirner gallery.

Band members*

Greg Ginn, guitar
Keith Morris, vocals
Chuck Dukowski, bass
Brian Migdol, drums

 *I am well aware of Henry Rollins’ history as a Black Flag’s long-term lead singer and beefcake. This song was recorded before his tenure with the band.


2 comments:

  1. I love this song! Thanks for reminding how great a band Black Flag is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man! Did we ever have some great times listening to that. Thank you for dredging it up. A masterpiece.

    ReplyDelete