Friday, September 16, 2011

Hats Entertainment: Stephen Jones, Milliner


I first met Stephen Jones back in 1985, when I was a dancer and designer for Madonna and he was working on an exhibition at the Palladium. I was already a fan of his millinery skills, which could be seen at the time in my favorite magazines from London, I-D and The Face. Stephen was at the beginning of his career then, one that now spans three decades and includes collaborations with many designers, such as Dior, John Galliano, L’Wren Scott, and Marc Jacobs. He has designed hats for a celebrity clientele with many varied backgrounds including English royalty, the actress Anne Hathaway and the burlesque performer Dita Von Teese. His skills are also called upon for stage and film. Some of my favorite hats were seen on Cate Blanchett in the historic movie Elizabeth and its follow-up, The Golden Age.

It was such a thrill to be able to attend the opening of his survey of favorite hats at the Bard Graduate Center this past Wednesday night. Afterward, there was a delicious dinner given by the Bard Center as well. I’ve never felt so naked in my life as when I sat hatless at that table, surrounded by Stephen and his friends and collaborators, like the photographer Justine. (Note: I was hatless because I had a screamer of a migraine- even my very short hair hurt, but I was not going to let this stop me from attending Stephen’s opening).

When asked about some of his current inspirations, Stephen replied that he could be inspired by almost anything, a statement that is in evidence when reviewing his prolific, wondrous and fanciful creations. Do yourself a favor and try to see this exhibition, which is currently at the Bard Graduate Center in NYC until April 15, 2012.  It will also be on tour. 

Erika Belle with Stephen Jones at the opening for 'Hats: An Anthology'
 Oriole Cullen, curator, in a 'Flower' Hat
One of my many favorite Stephen Jones Hats
A Fur Ball Hat (worn by Bjork in London, 2008) designed by Soren Bach.
A fine feathered hat.
A lovely woman in a feathered hat and a trompe l'oeil 'pearl necklace' dress.
Hats and hat boxes.
Two beautiful woman standing next to the Stephen Jones silhouette.
Christina Clare Ewald and Fritz Donnelly in 'Take Out' Hats.
The wonderful Tziporah Salamon.




2 comments:

  1. ... have to comment as "anonymous" since "blogger" won't let me use my Google or Wordpress identities unless I sign up for a "blogger" account. No thanks! Keith

    ReplyDelete