Saturday, October 29, 2011


Montserrat: A Magnificent View

Montserrat was always interested in art, music and dressing up. She was raised in a conservative family in Barcelona and because of her early unique fashion sense, she always felt like the black sheep. She adored her life in Spain, but she also wanted to see what the world had to offer.

When Montserrat arrived in NYC in 1993, she spoke almost no English and stayed with friends in a small place on 14th Street off 6th Ave. One of her favorite clubs was Nell’s, which was just two blocks away. It was there that Montserrat got her first taste of dressing up for nightlife and knew she wanted to stay. Her first job interview was with the infamous Michael Alig for Club USA. She didn’t get that job (luckily), but she met someone at Save the Robots not long afterward who offered her a job at The Village Gate. She worked there for many years and enjoyed hearing bands like the Lounge Lizards.

To never compromise can be a hard line to follow, but Montserrat is true to herself and lives her life with great passion (after all, she was named after a mountain). She will not own a cell phone because she prefers to have her conversations face to face. Her unwavering sense of style and individual spirit made Montserrat ideal for focus in Subject Eye. 

A buena vision in red.
What were you thinking?
The weather was cloudy, so I wasn’t so cheery. If I think too much about this it can cause problems. I just wanted to figure out how to be with the clouds and enjoy this day.

List of the items you are wearing in your photo?
Dress: A vintage black and red print dress I purchased in Seattle.
Bracelets: Some are Alexis Bittar and the others are classic hardware bracelets.
Makeup: My lipstick is from Lipstick Queen. The color is called courage.
Rings: Also Alexis Bittar.
Shoes: Red Converse Sneakers.

Favorite music played while getting dressed? 
I’m not listening to new music lately, but I love Nick Cave and Tom Waits. I sometimes like aggressive music like punk. I also love jazz music especially on rainy days like Etta James and Ruth Brown.

Shopping tactics:
I don’t go shopping. I see something I like and I buy it. I love classic vintage from the 1940s and 50s because it is clothing with a history. I’m particularly fond of Yves Saint Laurent.

Avoidance tactics:
I will never wear Birkenstocks, Ugg boots, or go to The Gap.

Do you rock, shock or think about matching socks?
No socks, no shocks, but I do rock!

How do you keep or lose your figure?
With age one can lose one’s figure. I go to the gym and I’m a firm believer in the Weight Watchers regimen. I’ve always had my Spanish bottom.

Do you think you're sexy?
I don’t have to think hard about this. I think of myself as a more rounded person with sex included.

What do you collect?
I collect vintage shoes. I own more than 100 pair. I collect crinolines, especially from the 1940s and 50s. And dresses, of course. One of my favorite characters is Alf. I collect anything with Alf on it. My friends have been great in aiding my Alf obsession. He’s so cute and he is an alien, like me (laughs).

Most desired item-if anything?
I desire the perfect job! I want the perfect match of money, creativity and appreciation of who I am. A job where a misfit can be the perfect fit.

Are you designer label happy?
I like labels. My favorites are Alaia,Thierry Mugler and Jean Paul Gaultier. One of my very favorite designers is Isabel Toledo.

If you could be reincarnated as a piece of clothing, what would you be?
A Charles James garment. His couture is out of this world.

Is your skin in? (What is your skin care regimen, if any?)
I’ve been using products from Yves Rocher skincare. I’ve been using this line for many years.

A night to remember or forget regarding your clothing?
I went to the Madame Grès exhibition opening at F.I.T. I was wearing a dress with a train. It was a 1940s silk jersey dress, which was very much like Madame Grès creation. I wore my 1930s monkey fur jacket. The photographer Bill Cunningham was at the opening and he loved this outfit.

Any advice for future generations:
People should learn great manners. It is a forgotten art. Learn how to respect people and accept them for who they are. Have an open mind when seeing someone who is creative and appreciate that they have unique qualities.

Past, current or future projects?
Right now I want to find the perfect job. I want to work fewer hours and make more money. I think I would make a perfect companion, like in Victorian times. We need to bring this type of job back!

A stylish montage=Montserrat. 




No comments:

Post a Comment