Saturday, October 15, 2011


Subject Eye Presents: Rosemary Wettenhall

When you walk into Madame Matovu, Rosemary Wettenhall’s well-curated vintage clothing shop on West 10th in the Village, you can instantly see why the shop is on the radar of so many celebrities and fashionable women. You feel like you’ve entered a magic treasure chest. The reason the shop is so special is that Rosemary chooses every item – and doesn’t sell anything she doesn’t personally adore. The vintage merchandise is well edited and very well cared for, and there is also a small collection of designer clothing produced under her own eponymous label.

Rosemary’s in-depth knowledge of distinct eras in fashion is evident, as is her familiarity with a wide range of clothing manufacturing techniques, and she is quite conversant with how the pieces can or should be worn. Along with the beautiful clothes there is a wonderful selection of accessories and artwork. She is a firm believer in mixing styles and eras to create your own special fashion alchemy, which makes her perfect for Subject Eye.

Rosemary Wettenhall's style and her welcoming smile.

What were you thinking?
I’m thinking Life!

List of the items you are wearing in your photo?
Dress: a Comme des Garcons black slip dress with a blue and pale pink colored ribbon 1950s lace vintage dress over it.
Scarf: rose print silk organza scarf from the 1950s.
Sweater: cerulean blue Marc Jacobs lace ruffle cardigan.
Belt: vintage 1970s black motorcycle belt.
Watch: an oversized Swiss Army watch.

Favorite music played while getting dressed?
In general, I like classical and jazz music. I love Billie Holiday and Louis Armstrong. These days I find myself listening to a lot of R&B, like John Legend and Beyonce. Of course I love Motown. But you can really lose yourself listening to Edith Piaf and Serge Gainsbourg.

Your inspirations: icons, fictional characters, shapes or eras?
I’m inspired by everyday people. There’s always someone on the street who looks amazing.

Shopping tactics:
Right now, I’m in love with drug stores and hardware stores. I love their organization. It’s like a science. I love to lose myself at Rite-Aid. Where does all that stuff come from? Being in these types of stores balances out what I do. My newest love is the Farmers’ Market. I love talking to the farmers about hybrid produce and the work they do to grow food.

Avoidance tactics:
I avoid anything aggressive, whether it is people or clothing. For me, it has no meaning or place in my life. I also avoid the attitude of entitlement. Again, I love the people of the streets. Ever notice how entitlement and aggression goes hand in hand? Then it breeds ignorance.

Do you rock, shock or think about matching socks?
I love being individual. I hate being placed in a category.

An array of beautiful scarves.
  
How do you keep or lose your figure?
I’m just disciplined with what I eat and what I do. I believe in discipline in life, period. But I make sure to have fun at the end of the day.

Do you think you're sexy?
Of course! I think that being sexy is what you feel at the moment and what you project. I believe in subtle femininity.

What do you collect?
I collect skirts. If you open my closet, you would see more skirts, and I adore pleated skirts most of all. The perfect pleated skirt can be very hard to find. Christian Dior made my favorite box-pleated skirt. I also collect vintage bracelets, particularly Victorian pink gold. Well, I love almost anything that is shiny. I also love portraits and photos of women from any era. And last but not least, anything with roses on it.

Fresh roses in a Rococo vase and a portrait Marilyn.

Most desired item-if anything?
People getting along. I want people to get along and communicate better. I want people to stop being greedy because it creates hate. Greed separates people. I want people to not be so obsessed with material things.

Are you designer label happy?
No, that’s not me, just fashion labels. I have to love it, and what I choose must be something that I will want to keep with me forever.

If you could be reincarnated as a piece of clothing, what would you be?
I would want to be reincarnated as a rose bush. I would want to be any type of rose bush because it is the perfect thing of beauty, with a mix of hard and soft.

Is your skin in? (What is your skin care regimen, if any?)
I use a basic shea butter with no additives that I get at Bigelow Chemists.

A night to remember or forget regarding your clothing?
On one of my favorite nights I wore an Alexander McQueen shift dress that he himself signed. On another night to remember, I wore a Christian Lacroix couture skirt from the collection inspired by Frida Kahlo. But any day can be great when you are wearing clothes you love. I love wearing Comme des Garcons and of course, Yohji Yamamoto. Miuccia Prada is my favorite of today. The way she uses fabrics is so wonderful. And she can cut a great skirt! I completely appreciate the cultural references used in the prints of Dries Van Noten. The clothing is so sophisticated.

Any advice for future generations:
Be true to yourself.

Past, current or future projects?
In the end I’m fascinated by beauty. I’ve always loved beautiful things and having them around me. I also sell art in Madame Matovu, so I would love to expand it into a lifestyle shop.

Behold, a treasure trove!
A Henry Clarke poster and some sparkle.
Rosemary's eye catching window display.
A painting of Madame Matovu presides over all.
 Photos by Erika Belle

No comments:

Post a Comment