Saturday, November 12, 2011


The Supreme Carine Roitfeld!  

We are shaped and fashioned by what we love.  – Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

An artist is someone who is able, by virtue of imagination, talent and skill, to create works of aesthetic value. Even though Carine Roitfeld is well known for her work as a stylist and as the editor of French Vogue, she truly is an artist. A remarkable creative agility is evident in her work because it reflects not only what she knows about fashion and art, but also what she loves.

One of my favorite Carine Roitfeld editorials took inspiration from the inimitable appeal of Serge Gainsbourg and Jane Birkin. It featured the model Daria Werbowy wearing an array of beautiful looks, all in numerous shades of gray. Of course you are surprised, as I was, because gray is typically not a sexy color, but in Carine Roitfeld’s hands it became very charged indeed.

Her incredible style and work can be seen in her new large-format book, irreverent, published by Rizzoli. I was fortunate to speak with she as she inscribed my copy for me. She is lovely and very welcoming, everything chic rolled into one petite svelte woman.

We chatted for a moment or two and when I told her about some of my own work, she offered me a wonderful compliment: “So you are a part of fashion history too.” It was both generous and genuine, as only a person of confidence and self-possession could bestow. Carine is a woman who is true to herself and can only express her love of fashion through a culmination of her passions.

Carine is very passionate about AIDS research, and part of the proceeds from the sale of irreverent will go to the amfAR organization. Cheers to you, Carine for your innate style, inspiration and sartorial love.   

Having a moment with the beautiful Carine Roitfeld.

Carine and me! She loved my T-Shirt by Scooter LaForge






1 comment:

  1. Great article! Any chances of getting an interview with Rachel Zoe?

    ReplyDelete