Saturday, November 19, 2011


Carpe Diem!

I was recently asked what I would do if I knew I had only 24 hours to live. No need for reflection for that question. Of course I have quite a few regrets, perhaps more than a few. But I’d waste no time pondering over those old chestnuts. Stock last-day activities like sex, bungee jumping or parachuting can be tricky to conjure up within time limitations and some involve corralling other people to participate. Why would I wish to be burdened with them?

I’d choose to get very close and personal with something I fervently avoid for health and waistline maintenance reasons but could find very easily: butter.

I absolutely love butter. I could eat it spread on or integrated into everything. Here are some of my first appointments for the glorious stuff: on a warm baguette flown in from the Parisian bakery Boulangerie Collet (I know-I only have a day left but I’d wait the 7 hours for that baguette; it’s really that great), drizzled over grilled quail surrounded by little sea scallops floating in rivers of the stuff. I would move on to have my favorite vegetable – kale – butter-soaked and then sautéed in garlic and butter. Then I’d have battered pork belly deep-fried in butter, followed by butter cream ice cream with butter cream sauce.

Even though I have a mere 24 hours I would then take a nap. So that I could wake up refreshed and ready to take on my main course. I won’t give you those LDL-raising details, but I would go to my final rest softly plumped and sated with my blood lipids newly reconfigured. I could be trusted to go gently into that good night*, giddy from the food and one last silly pun: to beurre is human**.

*My apologies to Dylan Thomas.
**My apologies to Alexander Pope.

Two of my many favorite butter brands: Kerrygold Pure Irish Butter
and 
Les Pres Sale Carmargue Beurre. I borrowed this platter from a friend
who has rustic things at home on purpose.
The bread is a stunt baguette that is 6 years old.

                                   



1 comment:

  1. How about some of this, Erika?

    http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/32665106/ns/today-food/t/move-over-twinkies-deep-fried-butter-here/

    ReplyDelete